Wednesday, September 17, 2008

...And then the reason to sing is gone.

Michael Buble's voice is intoxicating. Who needs drugs or alcohol when you could just put his songs on repeat and allow it to take you wherever it wants? Now, I'm not one to get into pop culture, and I'm certainly not into celebrity crushes- and I'm not making an exception for him. But those notes...and the poetry in the lyrics...and his personable intonation...well, it's a lethal combination to my pride.
In the early hours of the morning at Sonic, I heard a song that made me really happy, so I asked my boyfriend David what it was since he always knows everything about music. Excitedly, he told me it was "Everything" by Michael Buble. To be honest, all I'd ever known from Buble was "Home," which was really good, but unfortunately and quite irrationally overplayed to extinction, so I was pleasantly surprised to find out that this song was by him. David and I discussed the coolness of the key change and the brightness of the lyrics and melody, and how it just made us feel good. I made a mental note to go home and look it up on Youtube so I could listen to it over and over and over and over again.
I did just that. :o)
Then, I decided to research it. I'm one of those annoying people who enjoys memorizing little-known details about things that I'm interested in. (My brother is to be credited for this, I think, along with lots of other habits and quirks that I have...he's an influential guy, not just to me, but to a lot of people.) I really just like to be informed, because ignorance (not the kind that you can't help, but the kind that you CAN help) is one of my pet peeves. So I always check up on things. So I found out that Michael Buble has a sad history with love songs & girls.
He was engaged for a while to Debbie Timuss (stage actress), for whom he wrote "Home. Then they broke off the engagement. Afterwards, backstage somewhere, he met Emily Blunt (English actress) and dated her for a while, and he wrote "Everything" for her...but they recently broke up, too. Kind of ruins a love song for you, doesn't it?
I mentioned this misfortune to Ray Smith, who replied in an interesting way. He said,
"Well of course it happened that way."
I was confused. Guy+girl+really sweet romantic song=breakup? Hmm...that's not usually how my math adds up (Then again, I'm not much of a math wizard. ...but still.) He proceeded,
"When a guy writes an incredibly romantic song for a girl, it goes one of two ways: she either loves it and goes crazy over him, or she gets really creeped out and claustrophobic and leaves him."
Sad but true, isn't it? It's even sadder that I can see the logic behind both sides. Man, the human mind is messed up.
All I have to say is that most girls that I know feel like this:
If someone wants to write us a song saying,

"And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times
It's you, it's you, You make me sing
You're every line, you're every word, you're everything,"

they have our permission. Especially if they can sing like Michael Buble.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My musician crush in high school was Harry Connick Jr. My, that man could croon ... sigh ... :)

David said...

Haha, is it weird for a guy to love this song too? I sure hope not...